Hundreds of American breweries have some new heavy medal to show off after Saturday’s 2018 Great American Beer Festival competition ceremony in Denver.
We can’t send you beer, but we can send you our newsletter!
Beers are judged according to style and GABF competition is stiff with 8,496 entries in 102 beer categories this year.
The 2018 GABF competition is the first time in more than a decade and half that American-Style IPA was not the most-entered beer category. The new Juicy or Hazy India Pale Ale style category was the most-entered with 391 entries. American-Style IPA had 311. Here are the breweries that took home medals in those top two categories:
Category 63: Juicy or Hazy India Pale Ale
- GOLD: Alarmist Brewing – Le Jus, Chicago, IL
- SILVER: Kros Strain Brewing Co., Fairy Nectar London Double Dry Hopped – La Vista, NE
- BRONZE: Eris Brewery and Cider House, Foiken Haze – Chicago, IL
Category 62: American-Style India Pale Ale
- GOLD: Root Down Brewing Co. – Bine, Phoenixville, PA
- SILVER: Appalachian Mountain Brewery, Portsmouth, Not an IPA (P.S. it’s an IPA) – Portsmouth, NH
- BRONZE: Green Cheek Beer Co. – West Coast IPA is Dead! – Orange, CA
This is the 32nd GABF competition, and it posts impressive stats:
- 293 judges from 13 countries
- 2,404 breweries in the competition from 49 states plus Washington, D.C. (no Mississippi)
- 537 first-time GABF entrants
The post 2018 Great American Beer Festival Competition Winners Announced in Denver appeared first on CraftBeer.com.
This article originally appeared on craftbeer.com